6.3.13

I Am Beautiful - Ona

The main idea behind IAB is Empowerment, Motivation and Success. Many of us know that there are many issues concerning body image, social stratification and general emotional and psychological well-being of people. These issues have lead to too many devastating ends such as depression and death- in the form of suicide.
                                                                                                           
I would like to use this series as a way to destroy all that negativity and build up the self-confidence of our generation that is being tampered with by so many sources.

Relax and Enjoy...
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

1. What is your Name?
Ona Odum

2. What is your Nationality and Where do you currently live?
I am Nigerian by birth, residing in Canada

 
3. Which age group do you belong to? 0-17, 18-25, 26-40, 40 and above.
18- 25

4. Describe your personal style.
My personal style is very simple but dressy. That's all I know for now, because I am still learning about myself.

5. What makes you feel beautiful?
When I look beautiful, I feel beautiful. Its a cycle really, cause when I feel beautiful it shows.



6. What do you think of the current issues concerning body image and race?
To be honest, I thought twice about sending in this post, because body image is a very sensitive topic for me. I am very conscious of my figure, always have, and I don't know if the constant worry will ever truly fade. I have always had friends with the "perfect bodies", and the media gives us a certain standard as women to look a certain way. However, I feel that as long as you feel good looking the way you do, nothing else should matter... nothing else matters! If I decide to be as skinny as a stick, or I prefer thickness and curves, that is entirely my business, as it is my body. It is always about feeling good and being healthy first. Once I accepted the features I have, and learned how to dress to look half decent, I started loving my body.

7. Do you think the media has had a negative or positive influence on these issues? Why?
I cannot recall where I read that the media sets a double standard, but I completely agree. Dealing with what we see on the internet and on television as the 'ideal' woman can certainly drive women into complete frustration about their image, but there ARE positive things we see every now and again that remind us of the things that are important. On one hand the media motivates us to look good, and on the other hand promotes negativity towards certain body types.


8. What do you think of the current fashion industry and trends?
The world of fashion has always greatly interested me. Lately we are seeing designers and the likes push the bars a little too far. I still appreciate designers and fashion labels that still give us things that are wearable, but still very stylish. Not one to spend too much on clothing and accessories, so as long as forever 21 and Zara stay sane, I'm good!


9. What advice would you like to give?
The key is to NOT follow every trend. I preach simplicity always! Also, accept your body, begin to love it, and you will look and feel good for certain.


10. Share a fun fact about you.
I LOVE FOOD. Nothing more fun than food :)

                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Ah food! Who doesn't love food? LOL! You can check out Ona's blog here.

 I just think the world has changed to be in a way where the society feeds off the media compulsively. Whatever they throw at us is most likely what we take in, and because they know this for sure, they play with out thoughts and beliefs. A solution to this could be to set your own standards and beliefs (still socially acceptable), but unique and independent, and then live by those rules. 

Guys, IAB is a universal project, don't be just an observer, get involved. So far, we've had only Nigerians featured, and I know the demographics of my blog readers... and you are all definitely not Nigerians. So I'm just encouraging you to join in! :)

Xo

Kike.

3 comments:

  1. She looks amazing in that first photo. Love what she's got on!x


    Personal Style Blog By ORR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! ^.^

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Join the conversation!